It doesn’t matter what I did the night before. If I had the best evening going out with hubby and friends, or simply cooking till the small hours. If I don’t get enough sleep I wake up and everything turns bad. Really bad. I become that person don’t to be; grumpy, yelling, everything looks so dark and literally lose my mind.
Now, to my defense, or as an excuse, i have moods thanks to my hipothrydism syndrome, that among other “gifts” having all the possible range of emotions in less then two minutes is on of them. I hate it and i need to pay my doctor a visit to check my hormone levels like yesterday!
What does it mean to have the hypo thyroid syndrome?
It not as bad as you thinks since there are medications to help with it. But, here are a few of the symptoms i personally have been struggling with:
- Weight gain or disability to lose weight
- Exhausted, no matter how much you sleep it is never enough to get you out of bed
- Hair loss like after giving birth? For years in a row 🥺😳
- Dry skin. My face went from mixed skin to very dry that I now use the extra hydration night cream by Clinic, and it is still dry.
- My hands are dry like sandpaper and that requires a bullet of it’s own since I’m sometimes embarrassed to pet my own kids. Unlike my face, I still didn’t find the product to help my hands so if you have any recommendation, please drop one in the comments or email me. I WOULD REALY appreciate that!
How Do I Mange My Health & The Hypo Thyroid Situation?
I know it is not the worst deasis to deal with, i actually do. My Sister’s deals with crohen and my other sister has fibromyalgia so I’m kind of lucky! However, i didn’t want to take pills everyday soni decided to make a change in my life. It didn’t happen in one night; it took me a while to understand what is working for me and what habit I should quit.
These are my four tips for supporting my Thyroid
- Gluten-free diet. I cut out all gluten (i do indulge myself every now and then with a slice of a cake though). You’ll be surprised to know how many restaurants are now offering gluten-free menus. However, good luck finding more than one dish that is not a salad that has all the nutrients that a vegetarian, gluten-free people need. I’m working on a list of places to dine around Dallas, Tx that i will share with you soon.
- Clean eating – you knew I’m going to talk about it, right? I’m on a plant-based diet for a long time now (like 17 years long…), but I didn’t realize how many bad things hide in our food. I respect my body enough to READ all the food labels before it goes to my cart. Less processed food, less refried sugar, less unknown ingredients the better!
- Sports. I found out that I like to run. It was a heck of a challenge for me, but it is really improved my overall feeling and even help me to sleep better. I now focus on running and Lagree Pilates which
- Night routine. It may sound funny to have a night routine for an adult (not the beauty routine you have in mind 😂), but I found out that finishing all meal prep – laundry – lunch fixing (bath included!) By 10.30 PM and then watching a show or news or browsing my favorite boards on Pinterest until 11 PM, allows me enough of a good night sleep. I have one comment on screen time though, tried to avoid it 15 minutes before bed because I noticed it is harder for me to fall asleep.
So What Is YOUR Next Move?
First of all, i DO NOT recommend doing any kind of change without consulting your doctor and a certified nutritionist. That will be irresponsible and may cause more damage than any good.
I do recommend on small changes one at a time. For instance, cook more, and I, by all mean, NOT talking about frozen food that you stick in the microwave. It will require some prep and going with an organized shopping list but it’s worth it. Here is a sample for my personal grocery clean eating list:
- Raw organic almonds (to make my excellent homemade almond milk!)
- Organic Pink lady apple
- Garbanzo beans (if canned, BPA free, low sodium or no salt added)
- Pasture-raised eggs
- Spaghetti squash
If you feel that cooking is too much for you, then start with adding more fresh vegetables to your meals.
Find out what type of activity you enjoy. It can be a walk with your dog, running, Yoga, Pilates CrossFit, as long you find something you enjoy from – and commit to it! If you don’t have spare time, you can start with a short work out at home. There are tons of apps you can download to your phone to help you achieve your goals (I found Asana Rabel and exercise with my kids!)
Need clean eating recipe ideas? Stick around ill have lots of them really soon!
Let me know if you have any questions or recommendations for me!