If there is something I miss every now and then in my clean eating diet, is Bourekas. Usually made with phyllo dough or puff pastry. I made this EASY pastry using Drums 🥁🥁🥁 rice paper! Ha! So easy to work once you understand how to.
FYI, this is perfect for Passover!
4 ingredients and you have a dish that everyone will talk about!
- Roasted eggplant core from 2 medium eggplants (you can buy it packed or roast yourself)/
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of light ricotta cheese
- 8 rice paper
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees
- Mix the eggplants, egg, cheese, and spices set aside.
- Prepare a 12×12 parchment paper and a wide pan/pot with water
- Soak rice paper for about 20 seconds and flip to the other side. Repeat until the paper is soft but still easy to work with (don’t over soak it!)
- Place 3 rice paper one next to each other when the edges are touching
- Fill rice sheets with the batter and roll using the parchment paper for easy rolling, shape the roll as a circle securing the edges so it won’t open during baking
- Repeat until all sheets are filled
- Spray with some avocado oil and sprinkle with sesame or ‘everything but the bagel’ mix
- Place in the oven for 35 minutes until golden
- If you want to make it vegan, you can change the filling to: mash sweet potato with thyme, mash potato, chopped mushroom with sauteed onion, mashed garbanzo beans with chopped scallion
- Not vegan? Consider the following fillings: mash potato and boiled egg, mozzarella & feta mixed with an egg (to thicken the batter), cottage cheese with shredded mozzarella and sauteed cherry tomatoes
- In case you want to bring it to your seder dinner, you can fill it with ground beef and roasted pine nuts, that would be a hit on your holiday table. Guaranteed!